Part 1 – These are some of the images that worked for me that I found really interesting.
Part 2 – More of the same from the course so far.
Part 3 – other ongoing work that was being done in tangent to course work.
Part 4 – some patterns and textures created for backgrounds and illustration layers.
I found this exercise a little daunting to say the least. The focus has been on getting the exercises and assignments completed to a deadline as much as possible, so taking time to reflect and assess is an odd process but a valuable one.
For the first and second boards I put work that I enjoyed on it and work that I felt worked for me as well as the brief. I also put up a variety because I found it interesting that I had such a mix of analogue and digital stuff.
However, there is a voice coming through but it is quite unfocused and a little quiet at present. Some of the stuff I have done I feel works great in pencils and then when I go to digitally finish them they lose some of their appeal or shine.
That happens but I have to question whether I’m clear on my intentions before making that decision to go digital. Overall, what I get is a sense that the job got done, but could it have been done in a better way by simply staying with a mixed media in analogue form? Watercolour or acrylic or even print may have brought the piece to life more rather than detract from it. It’s an interesting thought and I want to explore that.
For the images picked I still like the message conveyed in them and enjoy the lines and layout of them. For me the Fishbones menu feels like a success because it has the fewest elements in it and conveys the message well. I loved that I sketched it but used a png file to simply place it into the image rather than adjust it too much.
The lighthouse image is also a success as it came from a composite image I created using cut outs of bits of images. I felt that the sketched version created was a lovely piece of line work to support the book cover. The sketches of the 3 girls for it didn’t work out so well and I would have been better taking a different approach.
I think my sketches in black and white could lend to a print well and could be used as an image for a picture in the home or as a print on a tote bag or cushion. Some of the more detailed patterns would work as cushion or curtain material while others might work well on a t-shirt. The simpler designs work best on apparel I think.
For the fruit and tea instructions they’d work great on pictures for the kitchen while the lighthouse could be for a bathroom image.
For other designs and textures I created to use as a background in my images, I think they’d work as a surface pattern design.
Some of them are a little intense so I’d probably try and group them into a collection and tone down the brightness.
Here are some mock ups of the patterns and designs created originally for textures in illustration backgrounds. Some of them work well in fabric form and using this great template from a Skillshare class, I could see how they would work on products.
Some of the scales are a little off as I wasn’t sure how to manipulate the image fully, but as a test this was great fun. I even went back and manipulated some of the earlier images such as the Nancy Drew book cover, and although you can’t see the image there were some great textures that came across in the bag and lamp design. My book cover for Alice in Wonderland made a lovely fabric print for the dress too.
Overall it was surprising to see how well some of the designs worked, as they hadn’t been created with that type of application in mind. The crossover was interesting.