In between doing exercises I’ve been experimenting with lino cuts to see what kind of images I could get together. Skillshare has some great tutorials on mark making so I started there and tried out some small sketches before drawing onto the soft lino. The first couple of cuts were designed to try and test the straight line patterns and curved patterns that I could make, but patience is a virtue and I just leapt into it head first.
The results were okay, the colours limited due to the inks I had and I can see I didn’t press down enough to get a clean finish. In the tutorial it was suggested to try acrylics but I didn’t. This would have opened up a lot more colours to me.
The next phase I took a step back, looked for inspiration with a google search for face painting and day of the dead, and then prepared a sketch based on an idea generated from the research.
I kept it simple, taking into consideration the outline and really tried to consider how it would look in reverse with a black and white finish. I tried some different coloured paper and tested out about 6 prints with the finished lino.
The one that I liked the best was on red paper as it was slightly rough in texture and so it absorbed the ink nicely. I brought it into Photoshop and made a banner for Halloween with it and used a nice texture effect so that the ink looked slightly raised on it.
I can see that I hadn’t enough ink on the lino as it faded out from me not pressing down hard enough and not having lots of ink. However, I’m happy with the end result and it definitely works out better when the focus is clear and the research is done. Despite knowing this there are always sketches or images that I rush into to get out of my system but that end up just being unstructured results so that is definitely a habit I’d like to break.