In between work

In between doing exercises I’ve been experimenting with lino cuts to see what kind of images I could get together.  Skillshare has some great tutorials on mark making so I started there and tried out some small sketches before drawing onto the soft lino.  The first couple of cuts were designed to try and test the straight line patterns and curved patterns that I could make, but patience is a virtue and I just leapt into it head first.

The results were okay, the colours limited due to the inks I had and I can see I didn’t press down enough to get a clean finish.  In the tutorial it was suggested to try acrylics but I didn’t.  This would have opened up a lot more colours to me.

The next phase I took a step back, looked for inspiration with a google search for face painting and day of the dead, and then prepared a sketch based on an idea generated from the research.

dayofthedead.jpg

I kept it simple, taking into consideration the outline and really tried to consider how it would look in reverse with a black and white finish.  I tried some different coloured paper and tested out about 6 prints with the finished lino.

The one that I liked the best was on red paper as it was slightly rough in texture and so it absorbed the ink nicely.  I brought it into Photoshop and made a banner for Halloween with it and used a nice texture effect so that the ink looked slightly raised on it.

ladyhalloweentitle

I can see that I hadn’t enough ink on the lino as it faded out from me not pressing down hard enough and not having lots of ink.  However, I’m happy with the end result and it definitely works out better when the focus is clear and the research is done.  Despite knowing this there are always sketches or images that I rush into to get out of my system but that end up just being unstructured results so that is definitely a habit I’d like to break.

 

Exercise 16 – Image development

For this exercise a stock image was taken from http://www.dreamstime.com of a busy street in an Asian country.  The image appealed because there is so much going on in it and I felt it would be the best example of cropping and developing an image for this exercise.

exercise-16-image-development

Within various parts of the street there are lots of individual images that could be created that still give a sense of the environment but tell their own potential story on their own.

As you can see from the images cropped, you still get a clear sense of the environment it was taken from and you still get a sense of energy from it.  People are busy, people are moving about doing different jobs and getting from one place to the next.   The environment is very crowded, the buildings are on top of one another and yet people still move through it and get on with their lives.

The cropped image used was that of the two girls on the street crossing paths.  It had been labelled ‘strangers passing’ for the purpose of labelling the cropped images in the exercise.

I completed a few pencil sketches of the image to get a sense of the shapes and characters.  I then used a brush pen to create a stronger image of it to work with.  This image was originally meant to be giving a comment on the use of social media for making new friends.  In this instance the idea was going to be around two girls passing each other holding phones making comments on each others posts yet they just passed each other on the street.

illustration-altered

However I thought it might be too obvious, I might revisit that but for the purpose of this exercise I wanted to move on and complete a finished piece.  So I removed the icons and went for a plainer version of the image by using the light box and brush pen.

Untitled-2

Next I went into corel painter and adjusted some of the colours and added the text.  I went for a simple coloured version in the end as I felt it was cleaner and suited the illustration better.  The other versions were a little too busy with the extra image ghosting in it and the text wasn’t clear and easy to read.